This 2023-2024 northern Australian survey helps keep cattle skin lesions in focus – especially in the early dry period when cattle are first mustered.
Producers should be clear that these are NOT suspect LSD cases. Any suspect LSD lesions are EAD-urgent: call the hotline 1800 675 888 and notify your jurisdiction.
Each property submission can be invoiced through NABSnet for $500 + freight where relevant. LSD sampling kits will be supplied, with a standard submission form and simple supplementary form. An info flyer for the property owner is also supplied. Contact Kevin on 0427 433 244 if you would like to be involved or get more information.
Steps to submit samples:
- For each clinical condition on the property, draft off up to 2 animals for sampling.
- Photograph the lesions.
- Fill in the history and description of the lesions on the submission form.
- Collect two biopsies from each animal: a formalin fixed and a fresh sample. Collect serum and EDTA blood from each animal sampled from properties in NT And Queensland (this is not required in WA due to different laboratory protocols).
- Pack the samples and send to the state laboratory with the lab submission and supplementary forms, to arrive the next day. Email the photos to the lab (or include with the submission).
- Notify Kevin Bell that the samples have been sent and get OK to send an invoice.
- Report the results to the property owner (no written report needed).